Choosing the right web designer can be a difficult (and daunting) task, as there are so many factors to consider –
- Are the designers local on the Mornington Peninsula, so you can easily discuss your website ideas with them in person?
- Will they build your website using a CMS so you can edit content yourself?
- Is the platform opensource, so you can easily get any web developer to work on your website or is it a proprietary system?
- Are they locking you into their own hosted solution, where you can never move to another host or developer?
- Are they proficient at SEO to help make your website rank well in Google?
- What are their design skills like for designing websites (print design is very much a different skill), in order to create a website that gives your customers an easy User Experience (UX)
- What technical programming skills do they have, in order to enhance your site beyond ‘off the shelf’ themes & plugins?
As you can see, there’s so much to consider when choosing a web design company. Browsing their portfolio certainly helps, so you can see the types of websites they’ve built in the past, but it doesn’t answer all the questions.
There’s quite a number of web designers on the Mornington Peninsula to choose from, so my suggestion is to start with their portfolio, then browse their reviews / testimonials (both on their site and on 3rd party reviews), then ask them the tough questions!
Best of luck!